Lot: Homosexuality Condemned
[7:80] Lot said to his people, “You commit such an abomination; no one in the world has done it before!
[7:81] “You practice sex with the men, instead of the women. Indeed, you are a transgressing people.”
[7:82] His people responded by saying, “Evict them from your town. They are people who wish to be pure.”
[7:83] Consequently, we saved him and his family, but not his wife; she was with the doomed.
[7:84] We showered them with a certain shower; note the consequences for the guilty.
[27:54] Lot said to his people, “How could you commit such an abomination, publicly, while you see? [27:55] “You practice sex with the men, lustfully, instead of the women. Indeed, you are ignorant people.” [27:56] The only response from his people was their saying, “Banish Lot’s family from your town; they are people who wish to be pure.” [27:57] Consequently, we saved him and his family, except his wife; we counted her among the doomed. [27:58] We showered them with a certain shower. It was a miserable shower upon people who had been warned.
[29:28] Lot said to his people, “You commit such an abomination, no one in the world has ever done it before you. [29:29] “You practice sex with the men, you commit highway robbery, and you allow all kinds of vice in your society.” The only response from his people was to say, “Bring to us GOD’s retribution, if you are truthful.” [29:30] He said, “My Lord, grant me victory over these wicked people.”
[11:81] (The angels) said, “O Lot, we are your Lord’s messengers, and these people cannot touch you. You shall leave with your family during the night, and let not anyone of you look back, except your wife; she is condemned along with those who are condemned. Their appointed time is the morning. Is not the morning soon enough?”
What does it mean to tolerate bad behavior vs. freedom of expression?
People are free to do whatever they want as long as they don’t harm other people. Forcing people to believe in a certain way is what the disbelievers do.
[8:25] Beware of a retribution that may not be limited to the evildoers among you.* You should know that GOD’s retribution is severe.
*8:25 A community that tolerates homosexuality, for example, may be hit by an earthquake.
[32:21] We let them taste the smaller retribution (of this world), before they incur the greater retribution (of the Hereafter), that they may (take a hint and) reform.
A nation that upholds God’s laws is guaranteed prominence among the nations of the world, victory, prosperity, and happiness (10:62-64, 16:97, 24:55, 41:30-31). On the other hand, a nation that violates God’s laws incurs a miserable life (20:124). A nation that upholds God’s laws is guaranteed to be a great nation. This is not a mere idealistic dream; since God is in full control (10:61), His guarantees and promises are done. A nation that upholds God’s laws is characterized by:
1. Maximum freedom for the people – freedom of religion, freedom of expression, freedom to travel, and freedom of economy (2:256, 10:99, 88:21-22).
2. Guaranteed human rights for all the people, regardless of their race, color, creed, social status, financial situation, or political affiliation (5:8, 49:13).
3. Prosperity for all the people. God’s economic system is based on constant circulation of wealth, no usury, and productive investment. Non-productive economy such as gambling, lottery, and high interest loans are not permitted (2:275-7, 59:7).
4. Social justice for all. Because of the obligatory charity (Zakat), no one will go hungry or un-sheltered (2:215, 70:24-25, 107:1-7).
5. A political system that is based on unanimous consensus. Through mutual consultation and freedom of expression, one side of any given issue convinces all participants in the discussion. The end result is a unanimous agreement, not the opinion of a 51% majority rammed down the throat of the 49% minority (42:38).
6. A society that upholds and maintains the highest standards of moral behavior. There will be a strong family, no alcoholism, no illicit drugs, no illegitimate pregnancies, no abortions, and practically no divorce.
7. Maximum regard for people’s lives and properties. Therefore, there will be no crime against the people’s lives or properties.
8. Prevalence of love, courtesy, peace, and mutual respect among the people, and between this nation and other world communities (3:110, 60:8-9).
9. Environmental protection is guaranteed through conservation and prohibition of wasteful practices (30:41).
When the people of Lot were annihilated was there a single person among the community that was not corrupt?
There was not a single decent person in that community except for Lot and his family minus his wife.
[29:32] He said, “But Lot is living there.” They said, “We are fully aware of everyone who lives in it. We will of course save him and his family, except his wife; she is doomed.”